Get Healthy for a Good Cause!05/23/12
5th Annual Kin On Sports Tournament
Get Healthy for a Good Cause!
SEATTLE - Given the health benefits of regular physical activity, we might have to ask why two out of three (60%) Americans are not active at recommended levels.
Many technological advances and conveniences that have made our lives easier and less active, many personal variables, including physiological, behavioral, and psychological factors, may affect our plans to become more physically active. In fact, the 10 most common reasons adults cite for not adopting more physically active lifestyles are (Sallis and Hovell, 1990; Sallis et al., 1992)
• Do not have enough time to exercise
• Find it inconvenient to exercise
• Lack self-motivation
• Do not find exercise enjoyable
• Find exercise boring
• Lack confidence in their ability to be physically active (low self-efficacy)
• Fear being injured or have been injured recently
• Lack self-management skills, such as the ability to set personal goals, monitor progress, or reward progress toward such goals
• Lack encouragement, support, or companionship from family and friends, and
• Do not have parks, sidewalks, bicycle trails, or safe and pleasant walking paths convenient to their homes or offices.
Understanding common barriers to physical activity and creating strategies to overcome them may help you make physical activity part of your daily life.*
Here at Kin On, we have the perfect opportunity for you to dispel those exercise excuses by giving you a chance to achieve your workout goal this Summer.
Kin On will be holding its 5th Annual Kin On Sports Tournament in June/July. This will be an opportunity for the community to get involved, stay active while raising funds to support Kin On, while serving the Asian elderly community in Greater Seattle.
There will be four sports events this year:
June 16 (Sat) - June 17 (Sun)
Shoreline Park Soccer Fields
July 14 (Sat)
Seattle Badminton Club
July 14 (Sat)
Crossroads Community Center
All ages and levels are welcome. The Awards Celebration will be held on Saturday, July 15 at Kin On Health Care Center. Free admission. Friends and family welcome!